When I am in the kitchen, I typically just add until it feels right. Are you that type of cook or baker? I remember growing up and having trouble replicating my family’s recipes because my grandma was one with her dishes. She didn’t couldn’t tell me how they came together. I recall thinking, how can I be one with mac and cheese if we just met!?
I was brought up with the mentality that you add what feels good which isn’t the easiest to replicate. Well, that exactly how I made the chocolate mousse you’ll see in the images below. Isn’t it funny how we subconsciously become like grandma, mom, or other influential people in our lives as we get older? Tasting as you add ingredients is also a surefire way of getting a feel for what your dish is lacking. I’ve created a simple recipe for this 4 (yes, FOUR) ingredient chocolate mousse!
I wish I’d had this recipe when I was pregnant, although I didn’t have many cravings. Thanks, vegetarian diet! Take that skeptics! My pregnancy and birth were great but everything is better with chocolate! Am I right or am I right!?
*Note: This is for 1 serving. I was not interested in sharing with my toddler (Mamas who eat during nap time for the win!), but feel free to quadruple the recipe for larger groups!
1 ripe avocado (this recipe is great for avocados that are near their expiration date!)
– over ripe avocados are pretty rare in our home because I inhale, I mean eat, them all the time haha
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons grade A maple syrup
4 tablespoons nut milk of your choice (I used vanilla almond milk)
1. Place avocado into a blender or food processor. Blend until you are satisfied with the texture. When I made this the first time, my avocado was still a little chunky which isn’t so fun in a mousse.
2. Add cocoa powder, maple syrup, and nut milk. Blend until smooth. You can add a little more milk to make it smoother.
3. Place in a container with a cover.
4. Refrigerate until ready to eat! Enjoy!
5. Tiny, curious fingers are optional (:
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think below!
More Photo Fun!